Skip to main content

My-Once Molly (thinking of Valentine),














My-Once Molly… the girl who broke my heart, the one who got away, the one who promised me the world and left me to survive alone – typical of our Kenyan politicians… I hope you are good. Now, as February – the month of love – lurks about, I find myself thinking of you.

Thing is, my dear Molly, I have new neighbours. A young couple, very much in love like we once were. The young lady, her name is Val… maybe Valentine… I don’t know. This Val, a spirited girl with rich, deep, heaving laughter - almost like yours. Her smile… ah! You should see it. The shine of the morning sun distilling the dew upon cool meadows… I am totally in love with her. Alarmingly, she teases me much and I am getting ideas…

Molly, dear, wherever you are, please pray for me… the temptation is too much. If you don’t, the frail creature that I am may fall. This, despite having numerous songs in my playlist to warn me. Invariably, Majengo – that infamous locale – does a dishonourable appearance in most of them… ‘Majengo siendi tene…’, Joe Mwenda’s ‘Majengo’ – superb Kikuyu Blues, Kariuki wa Kiarutara’s ‘Nyumba Utarihaga’…

Apart from song, I am witness to a tale of stolen love that ended badly. Then, as a young man, I had ‘started life’… a single ‘mabati’ room with shared facilities that were communal taps, bathrooms and pit latrines. The bathrooms and latrines were sited at the farthest end of the compound and the lights there had long gone out of fashion.

Now, womenfolk are naturally curious and nosey. All along, I had been ignorant of the whispers, the investigations and the setup. I usually tend to mind my business – looking after elusive money and riches. Anyway, as the story unfolded… Omosh, Senior Bachelor and mechanic, his bathing time was 11pm. Omosh’s bathing time coincided with Mama Kui… the beautiful lady whose husband sometimes worked the nightshift.

Ah, much drama that day… First, a shouting and a wailing… we all came out armed with crude weapons, possibly to fight off thieves… Now, Mama Mboya was shouting for whoever had Baba Kui’s phone number to call him urgently. Why? Omosh, Senior Bachelor and mechanic, was locked up from the outside in one of the bathrooms. Stuck together, they were – him and Mama Kui. Anyway, the news people came, Baba Kui too, and a witchdoctor to solve matters… separation and all. And what a beating Omosh got from Baba Kui and the scandalised womenfolk…

So, my dear Molly, pray hard for me whenever you are. On that note, I am still pursuing end February as the official launch of my collections: ‘A Funeral Dress for Nyasuguta’ and ‘Love Told, Poetry Souled, Family Bold’… nice stories, snippets, poetry and a play between them. Out of a total budget of Kshs 100,000 – I have managed to raise a commendable Kshs 300. I still believe in miracles and call on Kenyans of goodwill to support this noble cause via:

Buy Goods Till Number: 9080911, Gatere Mwangi
Send Money: 0708 276 622, Mark Gatere

Plus, my anthology, ‘A Funeral Dress for Nyasuguta’ is available at the Nuria Bookstore and you can get it via this link: https://nuriakenya.com/product/a-funeral-dress-for-nyasuguta-by-mark-mwangi/ . That’s all for now my cutie pie. I have to go as I hear the landlord knocking and I am yet to clear January’s rent.

Your long suffering lover,
Sant Mark

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Seven Deaths of Mr. Steven Akumu: The Five Death

  ‘Curiosity killed the pussy.’ This is what they had forgotten to tell Mr. Steven Akumu. ‘Bang!’ The house shook, smoke filled the compound, shots rang out. Azrael was come. But how did we get here? Mr. Steven Akumu, a man of big ambition. He had thrown his hat in the ring, intent to unseat the reigning Member of Parliament for Mashimoni. That is before he shifted his residence and his political base. Now, Mashimoni is a placid place. A placid place, on ordinary days. The people – courteous, friendly, going about their bustles fashionably late, lazily, even. But come election time, the waters are stirred and trouble reigns in paradise. Then, gangs of marauding youths, with machetes – brandished and concealed – are employed to control the electoral outcome. The lingo – ‘to secure the bases’, and on election day, ‘to guard the vote’. Their leaders, they supplement these efforts with a pistol or two. Mr. Steven Akumu began his campaigns innocently enough. He had not gotten the memo

Kenya Innovation Week 2023, Commonwealth Edition: Start-up Manenos

  The dates: 27 th November-1 st December 2023. The venue. The Edge Convention Centre, Nairobi, Kenya. Sweet things first. Innovators get to walk away with 500K each, in shillings. 47 of them, from all the 47 counties… on Jamhuri Day, 5 of them get to walk away with… that’s for the President H.E. William Ruto to announce. The funding is to enable them take their innovations to market and build viable businesses out of the same. PIA – The Presidential Innovation Awards, the president is that serious. The Start-up sessions are a serious affair, the titles a mouthful, the colon abused: (Session: Founder Stories: An Exclusive Interview with Leading High Growth Start-ups: Learning, Pivoting and Critical Decisions during and Unprecedented Accelerated Business Growth). Ok, some of the lessons when scaling up: Ask for help; Believe in yourself; Resilience; Change of Mind-set. What’s the share of Bill Gates in Microsoft? We are asked. We throw figures around: 30, 90, 50… the percentages…

Angry Nairobians

  Nairobians are angry. Very angry. Perhaps, I should do a song, or some poetry piece, so that I can fully convey this: Nairobians, angry, hungry Nairobians, relatives to poverty Nairobians, has become their enemy – money Nairobians, no longer can access – honey. Nairobians, in their leaders – no hope Nairobians, unwashed – can’t afford soap The government, has lost – goodwill from the people No longer cute – the SG’s and the Governor’s dimples. Nairobi, despondency – hangs in the air Doing business, feels like living in the lion’s lair Taxes, more taxes – women can’t afford pretty hair Angry, hungry, for Nairobians – there is despair. It’s around 11pm. Nyayo House, recently declared a Corruption Free Zone. Hang around in a group outside, and some administration policeman will enquire of your business. I am here on some business. It is full house, majority seeking passports to get a breather outside the country… the National Youth Service have been seconded to assist s