Skip to main content

My Once-Molly (A Theft),

 














Hi Molly. How are you? The floods are here and I almost drowned – should have gone for swimming lessons as you often times suggested. Anyways, I now walk with a motorcycle tire’s tube and pump in my backpack. DIY lifesaver gear as instructed by Grade 3 CBC cohort.

Dear Molly, as I informed you last time, I shifted. Partly, the floods, partly, change, partly, finances. This Creative Writing journey is taking a bit of time to yield fruits, but I hang on, consoled by the words of one Ernest Hemingway, whose ending was horrible: “There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed.”

Where I shifted to, is a downgrade. ‘Mabati’ rooms – plenty of stories, though as living is communal and one’s business is everyone’s business. Such as the recent theft – a woofer, charger, ‘meko’ gas, a bar of soap, and a bucket of maize flower - that’s how ‘flour’ is pronounced, FIY. Must have been pretty hungry, them thieves.

How it unfolded. A bit of commotion early morning as the light drizzle simmered down. An echo into my dreams, gradually lulling me into an uneasy state of wakefulness. A bitter exchange – innuendos and insinuations. I am now older, so, I take time, straining to hear the going-ons and get a fuller picture before I form an opinion or reaction.

Once, when I started life, I was rather young – the landlord demanded I produce an ID card to confirm I wasn’t an under-18. I also had an erratic career as an artiste – bits of community theatre, sporadic poetry sessions, chasing after slim writing opportunities – the quintessential romantic but starving artiste.

The bits of community theatre – afternoon rehearsals, trekking to different places to perform that were the outreaches, trekking back home in the eve… you can imagine I would be dead tired and would have trouble waking up the next day. Then, I would wake up at the most dishonourable time of 10am. Well, Covid-19 was yet to illuminate ghetto people of the concept of online work/gig economy.

On some days, we wouldn’t have rehearsals or outreaches planned out. Still, appearances had to be made. You see, for ladies, no one questions if they spend the whole day inside the plot. For young men, though, should a theft happen, they would be the automatic suspects. So, I usually retired to the community library to convince my neighbours that I was engaged in some productive work or other.

The present day. I am much older – bits of grey have strayed on my beard and I look like someone’s husband – wife and children could be upcountry, the unsaid verdict. Touts address me as ‘mzae’ – old man. ‘Kweli ujana ni moshi’ – youth is but a smokescreen. The outside conversation continues.

A lady neighbour is the one whose items were thefted. She suspects a young man who happens to be someone’s husband. She threatens to go visit a witchdoctor and have the thief or thieves soon eating grass in the manner of Nebuchadnezzar. The next day, she will print out a notice to this effect and glue it to the gate.

I am now outside, carefully weighing in. “Last night, I came home at midnight and the gate wasn’t locked…” True, this, and which had me worried about the safety of my belongings. I have lived long enough in Nairobi and knows just how crucial locking the gate is as a deterrence to housebreaking and theft. Good thing is, I am not a suspect. For now, at least.

Still, from now, I will have to keep up appearances – pretend as though I do an 8-5 job as expected. Else, make money speedily and shift. I hope it’s the latter. Please do help out by buying my book here: https://nuriakenya.com/product/a-funeral-dress-for-nyasuguta-by-mark-mwangi/

Anyways, I have discovered that there are free trainings at a nearby institution… beauty, catering, tailoring… I have put down my name for a tailoring course. They will be calling us in due course for the next intakes. ‘NMB’ – No More Boring – is a fashion label that will be coming out soon.

In the meantime, I keep writing lyrics and working on my stand-up comedy routine. Very Groucho Marx of me – writer, comedian, actor, artiste… I hope I’ll be as successful as him. If not, I will say, I tried my best. Write a song about it too. Bye for now, Molly, and keep dry.

Yours heart-in-ache,
Sant Mark

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Seven Deaths of Mr. Steven Akumu: The Five Death

  ‘Curiosity killed the pussy.’ This is what they had forgotten to tell Mr. Steven Akumu. ‘Bang!’ The house shook, smoke filled the compound, shots rang out. Azrael was come. But how did we get here? Mr. Steven Akumu, a man of big ambition. He had thrown his hat in the ring, intent to unseat the reigning Member of Parliament for Mashimoni. That is before he shifted his residence and his political base. Now, Mashimoni is a placid place. A placid place, on ordinary days. The people – courteous, friendly, going about their bustles fashionably late, lazily, even. But come election time, the waters are stirred and trouble reigns in paradise. Then, gangs of marauding youths, with machetes – brandished and concealed – are employed to control the electoral outcome. The lingo – ‘to secure the bases’, and on election day, ‘to guard the vote’. Their leaders, they supplement these efforts with a pistol or two. Mr. Steven Akumu began his campaigns innocently enough. He had not gotten the memo

Kenya Innovation Week 2023, Commonwealth Edition: Start-up Manenos

  The dates: 27 th November-1 st December 2023. The venue. The Edge Convention Centre, Nairobi, Kenya. Sweet things first. Innovators get to walk away with 500K each, in shillings. 47 of them, from all the 47 counties… on Jamhuri Day, 5 of them get to walk away with… that’s for the President H.E. William Ruto to announce. The funding is to enable them take their innovations to market and build viable businesses out of the same. PIA – The Presidential Innovation Awards, the president is that serious. The Start-up sessions are a serious affair, the titles a mouthful, the colon abused: (Session: Founder Stories: An Exclusive Interview with Leading High Growth Start-ups: Learning, Pivoting and Critical Decisions during and Unprecedented Accelerated Business Growth). Ok, some of the lessons when scaling up: Ask for help; Believe in yourself; Resilience; Change of Mind-set. What’s the share of Bill Gates in Microsoft? We are asked. We throw figures around: 30, 90, 50… the percentages…

Angry Nairobians

  Nairobians are angry. Very angry. Perhaps, I should do a song, or some poetry piece, so that I can fully convey this: Nairobians, angry, hungry Nairobians, relatives to poverty Nairobians, has become their enemy – money Nairobians, no longer can access – honey. Nairobians, in their leaders – no hope Nairobians, unwashed – can’t afford soap The government, has lost – goodwill from the people No longer cute – the SG’s and the Governor’s dimples. Nairobi, despondency – hangs in the air Doing business, feels like living in the lion’s lair Taxes, more taxes – women can’t afford pretty hair Angry, hungry, for Nairobians – there is despair. It’s around 11pm. Nyayo House, recently declared a Corruption Free Zone. Hang around in a group outside, and some administration policeman will enquire of your business. I am here on some business. It is full house, majority seeking passports to get a breather outside the country… the National Youth Service have been seconded to assist s