Skip to main content

A True Friend

A True Friend

A story… But first, the lyrics to my first ever self-edited video…


1. Through life's valleys low
When you are feeling low
When you are about to slow
Yes, I'll always be about
To carry you high

I say be of good courage
And remember the old adage
Cause even when you are out
Yes, I’ll always be about
To make you smile.

2. You feel like giving up
When you’ve hit a bump
That’s when you want to slump
Yes, I’ll always be about
To encourage you.

I say be of good courage
And remember the old adage
Cause even when you are out
Yes, I’ll always be about
To make you smile.

3. Sometimes you want to die
When on the couch you lay
You want to say goodbye
Yes, I’ll always be about
To make you live.

I say be of good courage
And remember the old adage
Cause even when you are out
Yes, I’ll always be about
To make you smile.

4. A time to laugh, a time to cry
A time to rest, a time to try
A time to sell, a time to buy
Yes, I’ll always be about
To help you try.

I say be of good courage
And remember the old adage
Cause even when you are out
Yes, I’ll always be about
To make you smile.

5. Family comes and goes
Friends come and go
Money too comes and goes
But I’ll always be about
To guide and guard you
On life’s torturous/treacherous journey.

I say be of good courage
And remember the old adage
Cause even when you are out
Yes, I’ll always be about
To make you smile.

6. You feel like giving up
When you’ve hit a bump
That’s when you want to slump
Yes, I’ll always be about
To encourage you.

 

The year was 2005. A teenage boy then, wondering where money for college would come from, was busy putting pen to paper. There he was in Soko Mjinga, Kawangware, selling onions and tomatoes in the open-air, roadside market that was Soko Mjinga. Through rain and shine, he lovingly tended to his groceries business and sharpened his words, envious of his peers in college… At last, he had scrounged enough to record a song, ‘A True Friend’. He also had a collection of short stories and a teenage novel; what would pass for YA (Young Adult) nowadays.

This love of the word was not strange to him, but the business world was. Growing up, he had always been surrounded by books, welcome companions for a shy, introverted boy. The boy read tomes and tomes of books, some beyond his age. He read adventure and politics and religion and philosophy. He read books about the Mafia and about magic and his imagination soared. In the words contained in these books was his freedom.

In school, the words gleaned from these books morphed into songs. And dance. For Kawangware Primary School was known as a powerhouse when it came to music and dance competitions at the primary school level. Then, there were the evergreen songs sung… religious, cultural and play songs, only to find out later that we sung some of them wrong… Mabligan,mabligan was Public van, public van, etc.

And so, when the whole school sung, the shy, introverted boy sung too… but he longed to be a soloist, to stand before the whole school and lead them in song and dance. Still, he never could get the courage. The same was replicated in high school, another powerhouse when it came to matters dance and song at the secondary school level. Dagoretti High School.

Still, the boy gained some courage and volunteered to do a song during a Christian Challenge weekend attended by a couple of girls’ secondary schools. Suffice to say, his performance was a disaster. Then again, he did not die and even managed to net himself a girl that took pity on him. Still, that gnawing doubt that his voice could never be good enough to pull a note the way Whitney Houston does in I’ll Always Love You.

The year is 2022. The boy, now a man, is just from watching CODA; a movie about a singing girl from a family that is deaf. The music teacher tells the girl that Bowie told Bob Dylan – guy won a Nobel Prize in Literature for his music – that he had a voice like sand on glue or something to that effect. That some have pretty voices but have nothing to say. I shed a tear at that, the story of my life.

And so, I begin. 17 years later. Now wiser and at peace with the world. I invite you to travel with me in this my journey of words as a recording artiste, poet, writer and entrepreneur. For all that I am, all that I have become, all that I will be, I have been, before. The seed has now flourished into a mature tree for which there is fruit and shade and firewood for many.

NB: This is a song of encouragement for hard times; more so, Post-Covid when a lot of people have lost their jobs and the cost of living has gone up. A reminder that there is a friend above all friends to see us through the worst of times. My first ever, self-taught video. One must begin somewhere, and so I have. Hence, the name of this blog: upya=anew, which equates to a fresh start. Hope you'll be inspired. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3q4ChYidWnA

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#20BobSanaa

  With a heavy heart, having cried my heart out, I let go. Of these dear books with many a memory. This to support my book launches. Gladden, though, for they are on offer for as low as Kshs 20 – 20bob (exclusive of delivery costs): 1.        Betrayal in The City 320 2.        Paper Doll 320 3.        Royal Scandals 320 4.        Poems from East Africa 320 5.        Mimba Ingali Mimba 220 6.        Half a Day and Other Stories 120 7.        Kitumbua Kimeingia Mchanga 320 8.        Walenisi 420 9.        Horn of My Love 220 10.    Mayai Waziri wa Maradhi 120 11.    Brisinger 520 12.    Cabal 320 13.    The Patriot Game 320 14.    The Resurre...

Age, Dreams, Love, Death

 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETIbcEdyVfk The sweet child, golden her smile Death of innocence, led to her being Love was had, made and shaped – furiously Age was come, the world and the home – to enrich. The sweet child, golden her smile Cuddly and warm is she, ‘cept when called to dine She would rather play, not away her dolls – file Tantrums she is, tantrums she does, this sweet child of mine. Age is catching up Dreams are drying up Love withers away Death rides on the highway. Dreams, the essence of all that is A business to start, a sweet one to kiss If killed, sharp is the cobra’s hiss The daring shoot the star, can’t – the moon – miss. The infant wonders, clear eyes wanders Age trickles, drips and drops to the sea There is still no dreaming of what could be Love, Death – each Being flounders. Age is catching up Dreams are drying up Love withers away Death rides on the highway. Love, some claim He and She - The First Words, deeds, faith, tr...

My Once-Molly (Political versus Business Ethics),

  Dear Molly. How are you? As always, I hope you are well. You know, there is something about you, something that made me inspire for better. Was it that rich smokers’ laughter of yours? The daring twinkle that flashed in your eyes when you were angry? The tight curl in your lips when you were about to lash out? Anyway, Molly, I continue with my business training. I am now thinking of business as warfare – the honourable kind of warfare; chivalry, observing the rules… not the Machiavellian 48-Laws-of-Power warfare where there is no honour, but only winning. Politics of deceit, our president calls it. Well, these past couple of days have been chilly… a precursor to June’s biting cold? Anyway, I am more often sad than happy during the cold months of June and July. I totally blame this on Sam Kahiga’s short story, ‘The Last Breath’ – if my memory serves me right. Off the ‘Encounters from Africa’ anthology. There is a way he made June and July sad. Pretty much like you wouldn’t tai...