Skip to main content

From Doubts and Fear to Faith and Action (A Funeral Dress for Nyasuguta)

 




‘God bless the work of my hands… I have done my part, I leave the rest to you…’ Thus begins my prayer as I go to print. First, some excerpts:

Sally
I killed my landlord. He had been stressing me out. Like that day he locked me in with Sally as I was behind in rent payments. Let me tell you about Sally and you’ll agree that killing the landlord was a noble idea…

 

A Woman Scorned: Part I
Nakuru. The city, recently incorporated, of a hundred adjectives rushing on to a thousand. Nakuru. The city of peace, war and presidential fiats. Handshakes and political proclamations. Suspect samosas, pussies, meats and their traders. Gangs and police brutality. Nakuru. The city for a con seeking a fresh start at life. The zealot sweeping the roads of Jerusalem as the highest of the Lord’s priests prepares to make a triumph entry to the city for some hired miracles. This time, on a convoy of fuel guzzlers and a phalanx of bodyguards and chase cars, for the ass is become obsolete…

 

For the longest time, I have had self-doubt, leading to self-sabotage, even when others – the kind ones – have told me that I am good. Call it the imposter syndrome. Then again, this is the year of doing. The year of action. The year of shipping out. So, as a precursor, I did the hardest thing for me, something I’ve always wanted to do: stand in front of people and make them laugh. And I did, and the reception was promising.

So, next week, unless otherwise, this book, an anthology of short stories, will be out, probably on Nuria Bookstore. The cost, 1500/-. 1500 bob. KES 1500. Kshs 1500. I promise it to be a worthy read. A treasure trove of new thoughts and memories. A priceless memento and gift for those nearest and dearest. Most importantly, I want you to walk with me in this creative journey. Then, one day, we’ll look back in triumphant at what we’ve been able to accomplish together – you, the reader; me, the author – at the world stage. Perhaps, then, you’ll cash this your first edition of ‘A Funeral Dress for Nyasuguta’ for a million dollars on E-Bay.

And so, I end my prayer:

Baba tembea, tembea nami
Usiku wa kiza, tembea nami
Jua lichomozapo, lituapo
Kusini, kaskazini, magharibi, mashariki
Katika misimu yote Baba
Elohi nakusihi, tembea nami.

(Father walk with me
In the dark of night, walk with me
As the sun shines and sets
In the South and North, West to East
In all seasons Father
Elohim I beseech, walk with me)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#20BobSanaa

  With a heavy heart, having cried my heart out, I let go. Of these dear books with many a memory. This to support my book launches. Gladden, though, for they are on offer for as low as Kshs 20 – 20bob (exclusive of delivery costs): 1.        Betrayal in The City 320 2.        Paper Doll 320 3.        Royal Scandals 320 4.        Poems from East Africa 320 5.        Mimba Ingali Mimba 220 6.        Half a Day and Other Stories 120 7.        Kitumbua Kimeingia Mchanga 320 8.        Walenisi 420 9.        Horn of My Love 220 10.    Mayai Waziri wa Maradhi 120 11.    Brisinger 520 12.    Cabal 320 13.    The Patriot Game 320 14.    The Resurre...

Age, Dreams, Love, Death

 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETIbcEdyVfk The sweet child, golden her smile Death of innocence, led to her being Love was had, made and shaped – furiously Age was come, the world and the home – to enrich. The sweet child, golden her smile Cuddly and warm is she, ‘cept when called to dine She would rather play, not away her dolls – file Tantrums she is, tantrums she does, this sweet child of mine. Age is catching up Dreams are drying up Love withers away Death rides on the highway. Dreams, the essence of all that is A business to start, a sweet one to kiss If killed, sharp is the cobra’s hiss The daring shoot the star, can’t – the moon – miss. The infant wonders, clear eyes wanders Age trickles, drips and drops to the sea There is still no dreaming of what could be Love, Death – each Being flounders. Age is catching up Dreams are drying up Love withers away Death rides on the highway. Love, some claim He and She - The First Words, deeds, faith, tr...

My Once-Molly (Political versus Business Ethics),

  Dear Molly. How are you? As always, I hope you are well. You know, there is something about you, something that made me inspire for better. Was it that rich smokers’ laughter of yours? The daring twinkle that flashed in your eyes when you were angry? The tight curl in your lips when you were about to lash out? Anyway, Molly, I continue with my business training. I am now thinking of business as warfare – the honourable kind of warfare; chivalry, observing the rules… not the Machiavellian 48-Laws-of-Power warfare where there is no honour, but only winning. Politics of deceit, our president calls it. Well, these past couple of days have been chilly… a precursor to June’s biting cold? Anyway, I am more often sad than happy during the cold months of June and July. I totally blame this on Sam Kahiga’s short story, ‘The Last Breath’ – if my memory serves me right. Off the ‘Encounters from Africa’ anthology. There is a way he made June and July sad. Pretty much like you wouldn’t tai...