Skip to main content

My landlord

 


I am thinking of visiting Kitui. Or Mombasa. Or Tanga in Tanzania. Should I visit, it will not be a friendly visit. My landlord, he does not wish me well. These past few days, things have escalated quickly to my disadvantage.

Monday. On Monday, he cut off electricity to my place. Normally, I incur power bills to the tune of 5000 shillings before he comes, in banter, to remind me to clear the bill. Not on Monday. He came with someone whom he said is from the utility company. He said the government had a shortfall, that teachers needed to be paid. And police. And soldiers. That roads needed to be built. The bill was only 600 shillings.

Tuesday. On Tuesday, the landlord cut off my water. Again, he came with someone from the water company. Could have been the same person from the power utility – I was groggy, for they came in at early dawn. I normally operate at debts of 2000 shillings, water, before I clear. The excuse? The water company needs money to lay the new pipeline and dig trenches for sewerage. I owed them 200 shillings. Anyway, I did clear the two bills.

Wednesday. On Wednesday, the landlord started digging at the back of my house. It is his property, after all. He was doing renovations, he said. Again, the same man was doing the digging. Soiled all the clothes out at the back. Unfortunately, my neighbour had ‘borrowed’ my clotheslines for his clothes. He nearly fought the landlord in the evening. The landlord apologised, then gave his wife the clothes to rewash. I was almost tempted to proclaim that God works in mysterious ways, but for Thursday.

Thursday. The day was overcast – heavy clouds. El Nino rains. I was in for the day. The landlord, he said, he needed to repair the leaking roofs. He started with my rooms – exposed for the better part of the day. Again, the same man. Well, the rains did not fall. Even the government apologised for its weather mis-forecast and scaled down its El Nino operations. Things we know – some government officials, too clever for their own good – are in trouble.

Friday. I came in late at night. The gate’s lock to the compound had been changed. Fortunately, there was a man – a silhouette of a man – who had business here. He opened the gate and we both went in, to different houses. Me to my house, he to Caro’s. His voice, guttural, sounded familiar.

On Saturday, the landlord came in, very early in the morning. He had two policemen with him. I was handcuffed and taken to the local police station. He accused me of having a master key to the gate, to the other houses, that I was a robber. Otherwise, how had I gained entrance to the compound? He wondered. He does not wish me well, my landlord. Jealousy does that to a man.

Caro. She is three-week old to the place. Single, petite, charming, lustful eyes, Delilah’s laugh. My landlord, he caught me making her laugh. Really, she had requested that I help her tie her own clotheslines as she did not want trouble from the womenfolk – at least those whose husbands had philandering eyes. Meaning all of us men in the vicinity – feeble creatures that we are in the presence of beauty.

On Sunday, my landlord, he came with his man… I am getting tired of this. He came with the man. The man who knows the curves and contours that is Caro intimately. The man used to persecute me. My saviour on Friday night. Lord, I am weary and tired and need a-savin’. My landlord, send thunder and lightning his way.

Ah, come end month, I will visit Kitui, Mombasa, Tanga. Get me some love charm. Charm my way to Caro’s heart. Charm my way to Caro’s house. Seems like she is a generous person and can accommodate both of us. My prosecutor – my persecutor – and I. Maybe, even the landlord. We can agree on a timetable. Monday, Tuesday – me. Wednesday, Thursday – the man. The long weekend – the most expensive days that are Friday’s song, Saturday’s dance and Sunday’s jazz afternoons – the landlord can foot the bill.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Seven Deaths of Mr. Steven Akumu: The Five Death

  ‘Curiosity killed the pussy.’ This is what they had forgotten to tell Mr. Steven Akumu. ‘Bang!’ The house shook, smoke filled the compound, shots rang out. Azrael was come. But how did we get here? Mr. Steven Akumu, a man of big ambition. He had thrown his hat in the ring, intent to unseat the reigning Member of Parliament for Mashimoni. That is before he shifted his residence and his political base. Now, Mashimoni is a placid place. A placid place, on ordinary days. The people – courteous, friendly, going about their bustles fashionably late, lazily, even. But come election time, the waters are stirred and trouble reigns in paradise. Then, gangs of marauding youths, with machetes – brandished and concealed – are employed to control the electoral outcome. The lingo – ‘to secure the bases’, and on election day, ‘to guard the vote’. Their leaders, they supplement these efforts with a pistol or two. Mr. Steven Akumu began his campaigns innocently enough. He had not gotten the memo

Kenya Innovation Week 2023, Commonwealth Edition: Start-up Manenos

  The dates: 27 th November-1 st December 2023. The venue. The Edge Convention Centre, Nairobi, Kenya. Sweet things first. Innovators get to walk away with 500K each, in shillings. 47 of them, from all the 47 counties… on Jamhuri Day, 5 of them get to walk away with… that’s for the President H.E. William Ruto to announce. The funding is to enable them take their innovations to market and build viable businesses out of the same. PIA – The Presidential Innovation Awards, the president is that serious. The Start-up sessions are a serious affair, the titles a mouthful, the colon abused: (Session: Founder Stories: An Exclusive Interview with Leading High Growth Start-ups: Learning, Pivoting and Critical Decisions during and Unprecedented Accelerated Business Growth). Ok, some of the lessons when scaling up: Ask for help; Believe in yourself; Resilience; Change of Mind-set. What’s the share of Bill Gates in Microsoft? We are asked. We throw figures around: 30, 90, 50… the percentages…

Angry Nairobians

  Nairobians are angry. Very angry. Perhaps, I should do a song, or some poetry piece, so that I can fully convey this: Nairobians, angry, hungry Nairobians, relatives to poverty Nairobians, has become their enemy – money Nairobians, no longer can access – honey. Nairobians, in their leaders – no hope Nairobians, unwashed – can’t afford soap The government, has lost – goodwill from the people No longer cute – the SG’s and the Governor’s dimples. Nairobi, despondency – hangs in the air Doing business, feels like living in the lion’s lair Taxes, more taxes – women can’t afford pretty hair Angry, hungry, for Nairobians – there is despair. It’s around 11pm. Nyayo House, recently declared a Corruption Free Zone. Hang around in a group outside, and some administration policeman will enquire of your business. I am here on some business. It is full house, majority seeking passports to get a breather outside the country… the National Youth Service have been seconded to assist s